Intern at Makelab
Gain real-world experience by interning at Makelab. Learn the inner workings and acquire valuable insights and skills in your department.
Design Service Internship
In this internship, you should expect to learn about all aspects of project coordination and meeting complex, creative, custom project demands. We work with a ton of clients, across all company sizes and industries. You'll be interacting with industrial designers, creative marketers, engineers, and startup founders directly. You'll leave Makelab with invaluable logistical and technical problem solving skills, while learning key aspects of communication under different circumstances.
In this internship, you'll work alongside our Service Specialist, aiding in carrying out the Service side of the business that feeds our Production team and operations.
This internship is for you if you have dabbled in 3D printing and are hungry and motivated to dig deeper and learn more of the intricacies of the process. You're a friendly, warm person who enjoys problem solving and interacting with various people throughout the day.
For our incoming interns with previous design experience, we offer a hybrid role sitting between service and design. This hybrid will teach you how to create and edit files so that they are ready for 3D printing with FDM and SLA 3D printing technologies in mind. You will learn the ins and outs of what is printable, what is required to print in various materials & technologies as well as skills in STL file repair.
This hybrid is for you if you have skills in 3D modeling, parametric and/or mesh modeling (both preferred). You have a wide range of skills in various programs, and are constantly intrigued by what 3D modeling and scanning can do. You think in meshes, extrusions, and booleans. And you're curious as to how your 3D modeling skills can foray a future into 3D printing.
What You'll Learn:
- How to manage multiple clients and projects
- Key communication tactics surrounding communicating technical details with creative professionals
- A deeper understanding of 3D printing techniques
- Sales & negotiation skills
- How to move a project from start to finish
- Tips and tricks for managing multiple & complex timelines
- All about the 3D printing process, its expectations and what is needed
Hybrid Only (Must have 3D modeling experience):
- Design for additive manufacturing (DFAM) with special consideration for FDM & SLA 3D printing technologies
- How to repair and alter existing STL files for printing
- How to create files based off client sketches, photos and products including reverse engineering of objects.
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills
- Passionate, driven, and eager to learn
- Creative capabilities
- Knowledge of slicer programs
- Strong organizational skills
- Positive energy and respectful of others
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to manage priorities easily
- Strong communicator
- Must have 3D modeling skills in at least one of the following: Solidworks, Rhino, Fusion 360, Autodesk Inventor, Blender, Maya, 3DS Max, ZBrush
- Knowledge of how to prototype and create models
Makelab is committed to a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels they belong and all voices are heard. We believe in our team and the unique perspectives they bring to every challenge, which is why we'll empower you to push the boundaries of what's possible.
Makelab is an equal opportunity employers that evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other characteristics protected by law.